- The talk was given by Doris and Jennie
- YCN was established in 2001.
- YCN is a creative network which allows artists and other members of YCN to get opportunities and ideas.
- YCN stands for ‘YOU CAN NOW’
- They have created the award program which started as student award program and now s available for both students and professional artists and designers. (E.G. they are currently running a competition for the cover of a well-known story of Alice in Wonderland).
- The YCN website provides: award program entries, internships and work opportunities, competitions, workshops, talks and events.
- You can become a member of YCN for 120£ a year. It may sound pricey however it provides the following options: send YCN magazines 4 times a year; helps with portfolios, direct to the right companies – help for the beginners in setting their future career; a possibility to be included into the website – additional exposure.
How to win , what YCN is looking for? Freshness and creativity.
What are the top tips from the YCN of becoming a successful artist or designer?
- Using social media websites to share your work: Behance, Instagram, Twitter and similar.
- Loving and enjoying what you do.
- Being nice and friendly to people in order that everyone would remember you.
- Being active – going to events and exhibitions, working on personal projects, doing commissioned projects, networking – contacting clients.
- Being professional – having a clean and readable website, sending friendly emails to clients and updating them on your work.